5 November 2008
CHOCOLATE COOKIES / BISCUITS AU CHOCOLAT
Much of my mental cooking is done in bed…. Some people count sheep to fall asleep…. “not I”, said the duck, (yes it is the barn yard theme today … ), I find myself mulling over the contents of our kitchen cupboards! Ingredients to be used, combined, obtained – dreamily preparing what to cook or bake the next day. A perfect obsessions for the insomniac cook!
Soba noodles, broad beans & chickpeas (which reminds me, I must make some hummus), to the vanilla beans, saffron and pecans, past the buckwheat flour (oooh crèps for breakfast!), almond meal & rolled oats, ah yes the new molasses (I have plans for you!) – and what this hiding in the corner…. 2 bars of Cailler’s Cacao Extrême 74% dark chocolate! How could these have gone undetected for so long! My cupboard radar must be off.
That got the wheels turning. The cookie jar was empty & my chocolate chip recipe has been asking for a make-over … well not in so many words… but there just never seems to be enough chocolate….
Click the link ‘Chocolate cookies’ for the recipe:
CHOCOLATE COOKIES Recipe : ERIKA ALLISTON Sweet Pea Blog
The make-over: I took my mother’s original chocolate chip cookie recipe and replaced the vegetable shortening (crisco) with butter – I am not a big fan of processed fats and generally prefer to eat what nature intended! I also had to increase the flour quantity as by removing the chocolate chips and adding the rich melted dark chocolate, the consistency of the batter needed a little thickening. And as it’s what’s inside that counts, I recommend using a tried and true, quality dark chocolate for this recipe….
Why all the fuss: well, these cookies are the perfect marriage of a chocolate chip cookie & a brownie … slightly crunchy on the outside, while ever so fondant on the inside… a chewy, chocolaty little piece of heaven, that any chocoholic would sell their soul for!
- 110g (1/2 cup) unsalted butter (softened)
- 100g (1/2 cup) white sugar
- 50g (1/4 cup) packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 170g (1 1/4 cups) white all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 150g dark chocolate (70%)
This recipe makes approx. 35 cookies
- Preheat the oven to 180°C convection heat
- Line two cooking sheets with baking paper
- Combine the flour, baking soda & salt and set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl combine the SOFTENED butter, white & brown sugar. Beat until pale & fluffy.
- Add the egg & vanilla to the butter/sugar mixture. Beat well.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces. The smaller the faster they melts. In a saucepan on very low heat, melt the chocolate – continuously stir so it melts evenly and does not stick / burn on the bottom.
- Make sure the chocolate is room temperature, then add it to the egg/butter mixture. Beat well.
- Now gradually add the flour mixture to the batter
- Evenly place heaping teaspoons of batter onto the lined cooking sheets.
- Place one in the oven and cook for 6 minutes
- IMPORTANT: remove from oven and let cookies cool ON THE SHEET for 1 minutes before removing. Otherwise they will be too soft & break!
- Store in a sealed container when cool.