9 February 2010
Chicken recipe : Roasted Lemon Chicken with Sumac
What to do with chicken…. that ever versatile white protein. My mother has been trying to disguise it for years while my father throws every curry in the book at it just to ‘add’ some taste.
I was looking for a change, so went sniffing through my cookbooks for an EASY CHICKEN RECIPE when I came across Ottolengi’s ‘Roast chicken with sumac, za’atar and lemon’.
The basis of the recipe looked good but I didn’t have a few of the ingredients on hand ie) no za’atar (Middle Eastern blend of dried thyme, sesame seeds and salt) or allspice and didn’t feel much like messing around with a whole chicken, so I simplified things.
All you need is a few chicken breasts, fresh lemon, sumac (a spice made of crushed Mediterranean berries), garlic, stock and a few other spices. This makes a delicious, fragrant dish, that is healthy and great served over basmati rice.
See the link ‘lemon chicken’ below for the recipe:
LEMON CHICKEN Recipe : ERIKA ALLISTON – Sweet Pea Blog
Dinner for Two:
- 2 chicken breasts (without the skin) approx. 220g
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 pinches ground ginger
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 120 mL (1/2 cup) chicken or vegetable stock
- pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sumac
- 1/2 an unwaxed lemon
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts (optional)
- Pre heat the oven to 200°C / 400°F
- Oil a small metal baking dish. Place the whole chicken breasts in the dish
- Boil water in kettle. Make stock.
- In a bowl combine: garlic, oil, spices, stock & pepper, mix well
- Pour over chicken
- Sprinkle chicken evenly with sumac
- Slice lemon into paper thin rounds (see picture)
- Place over chicken
- Sprinkle with pine nuts
- Roast in oven uncovered for 15 minutes (check if cooed)
Serve over basmati rice, quinoa or with fresh pita bread.