21 March 2010
Baked Potato – Jacket Potato recipe
How do you like you spud?
Crispy golden outside, tender fluffy inside. The baked potato a meal in itself, and such an easy recipe to make – child’s play really.
Just take large baking potatoes, scrub, dry, prick, rub with olive oil & sea salt, in the oven for about an hour and they are done. Now your only care in the world is what to top them with! My preference is a little sour cream, cheese (Gruyère & sharp English Cheddar) and a sprinkle of chives.
The type of potato is important for best results. Baking potatoes are generally large, long, starchy potatoes with a thick, coarse skin. They are high in starch, with a dry, floury texture. If you are wondering what the best baking potatoes are, look for Russet, Estima, Marfona or Victoria.
See the link ‘baked potato‘ below for recipe:
Baked Potato Recipe : ERIKA ALLISTON – Sweet Pea Blog
- 4 large baking potatoes (Russets, Estima, Marfona, Agata)
- olive oil
- sea salt
- 30g Gruyère cheese
- 30g sharp English cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 4 teaspoons salted butter
- chives (finely chopped)
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C / 375°F regular heat
- Wash & thoroughly dry the potatoes.
- Using a fork, evenly prick the skin of each potato 8 times (this avoids them exploding!)
- Rub the potato skin with olive oil and then sea salt. Place them on a metal baking dish.
- Bake for 1 hour to 1h15, depending on the size of your potatoes.
- While waiting grate the cheese
- They are done when the skins are slightly wrinkled and you can very easily insert a sharp knife inside.
- Remove from oven. Make a 2 large, deep cuts like a cross on the top of each potato. Pinch the sides so they open.
- Inside EACH potato place: 1 teaspoon of butter, then 1 tablespoon sour cream, generously sprinkle with cheese and top with chives & ground pepper
Hint: you can always pop the topped potatoes back into the warm oven for 2 minutes for the cheese to melt!